Man Utd to Sign Ibrahimovic Again as Coutinho Hands Liverpool Transfer Request
Manchester United are in discussions to re-sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic for the second half of the season when he recovers from a serious knee injury, manager Jose Mourinho confirmed on Friday.
The former Sweden striker was United’s top scorer last season, hitting 28 goals as they won the Europa League, the League Cup and the Community Shield.
However, he is without a club as he recovers from cruciate knee ligament damage sustained during the Europa League quarter-final against Anderlecht in April.
Ibrahimovic’s one-year deal at Old Trafford expired in June and was not extended following the injury. He has trained with the club during his rehabilitation, though, and Mourinho has made clear he still believes the forward can do a job for him.
Ibrahimovic –- who had won league titles with every club he had played for before joining United on a free transfer from Paris Saint-Germain a year ago — has made clear that he was disappointed to finish sixth with Mourinho’s team last season.
The United boss is aiming higher this time, and wants the 35-year-old to be a part of that effort.
“Zlatan is injured and needs time to recover,” Mourinho said on Friday. “He is not ready to play tomorrow, so it is not something that’s urgent. We are not desperate to have it (a deal) done or not.
“He wants more football at the highest level so we are having conversations and discussing the possibility of him staying for the second part of the season.”
United kick off their Premier League campaign at home to West Ham on Sunday, having won six of their seven pre-season friendlies.
Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho has submitted a transfer request, hours after the Premier League club released a statement saying he is not for sale.
The 25-year-old Brazillian had been a transfer target for Barcelona who seek a replacement for Neymar Jr. The Catalans submitted two bids – £70m and £90m – which were rejected by the Reds, who afterwards released a statement warning Barca to keep off their talisman.
The Catalans submitted two bids which were rejected by the Reds, who afterwards released a statement warning Barca to keep off their talisman.
Earlier, Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard had said Coutinho would have to start a ‘war’ to leave Anfield for the Nou Camp.
According to UK’s Mirror, Coutinho is angry at Liverpool’s refusal to accept Barcelona’s bid for him.
“Philippe has tried very hard to find an amicable solution to this situation but to no avail,” the newspaper quoted a family member as saying.
“He has tremendous love for the club and its fans.
“But like Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez have pointed out in the past, Liverpool does not let its players leave on amicable terms.”